Pages

Monday, June 4, 2012

Life Without ... store bought granola bars!


compacted & pressed
Several weeks ago, or maybe longer now, I saw conversation about making your own granola bars. It has been on my list of new stuff to try for some time so I perked up when reading about it again. Presented in the conversation was a simple recipe to try. I copied it into a document & saved it. So there it sat, on my desktop, quietly waiting for me to open it back up & have a go at it.

ready for the oven
That day finally came over the weekend. I had to either go buy more or make some, as our stock pile was … gone. Hubby takes one to work every day as part of his lunch. I enjoy one on occasion & we always take a few with us when we go walking/hiking or for long rides.

fresh out the oven!
Let me say right now that I will not again buy any from the store. Not when homemade tastes this good & is so easy.

There are more varieties/recipes out there for granola bars than I know I’ll ever have time to try… and that is way cool to me. The varieties are now truly endless. No more limits by brand or price from the store. I love that.

Here is the recipe I used …

1/2 c pure cane sugar (I use organic sugar)
1/2 c softened butter (organic unsalted is what I used)
1/2 c real maple syrup (organic pure maple/agave blend I used)
1 egg  (farm fresh!)
1 tsp real vanilla extract (we have some organic on hand)
3 1/2 c oats
1 c optional add-ins (dried fruit, nuts, chocolate chips)
 (I used 1/3 cup each of chips, fig pieces & organic raisins)

Cream sugar and butter; add other ingredients one at a time in order of appearance. Mix well (using your hands is a treat :). Press onto cookie sheet. Bake for 20 minutes at 350. You can stir it about halfway through baking if you want "granola" or let it bake through and then cut into bars.

fully cooled & cut
Sounds simple enough right? It was. I used my jelly roll pan, lined with parchment paper. To get the thickness of what we’re used to in a granola bar, I pushed everything together more which is why the pan was not full. When it came out of the oven, it was obviously hot, & soft still, in the center. I put the whole thing on a cooling rack for maybe an hour. Then I pulled it out of the pan to let it finish cooling completely before I cut into it.

wrapped & ready!
My only issue right now is how to store them & make them portable as individual servings. I opted for plastic wrap but I really don’t like that. You know … that whole plastic thing. I’d be happier if it were wrapped in something else. Just not sure what.

I know one thing tho … with this new granola bar I could easily eat one every day as well. That means I’d be making more once a week!  This might not be a bad thing … And I am certainly looking forward to experimenting with all kinds of recipes & varieties!

9 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great idea....I'll be making some soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will have to try this, but substitute seeds and nuts for the oatmeal. Maybe try coconut oil instead of the butter too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds yummy. I know there are millions of options & I'll spend a long time trying them out I'm sure. Let me know if you try some & how they turn out!

      Delete
  3. I love granola bars...thought often of making my own. NOW I don't have an excuse : ) Thanks for the recipe! It looks VERY yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for letting us taste one - I bet if you replaced the maple syrup with honey, or a combo of honey/molasses, it'd hold together better. Maple would work for plain granola, but for bars that don't crumble, I'd try honey.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the feedback! I talked to Alison about them as well, before you guys got there today. She recommended the same thing, molasses. One recipe down, a million more to try!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks great! Thanks for sharing this recipe. It is now on my to do list. Hubby and I take granola bars or some other unhealthy bar to work every day too so I hope I can incorporate making them on a weekly basis.

    You could try wrapping them in wax paper. Or maybe store them in glass, and use a reuseable sandwich bag to bring them to work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have made alterations to this & had better results. Thank you for your comment tho! Any homemade granola bar is better than that store stuff. I guess wax paper would be better than plastic at least. I will work on my own version of a re-usable wrap most likely after the holidays since I have a few shows to do & stressing out trying to make something new is not something I wish to add to my list! LOL

      Delete

This is my world. I reserve the right to not publish any comment that is offensive or cruel.