Pages

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Life without ... store bought Ketchup


 It was time again to make more ketchup on Monday. I had maybe enough left to make one more sandwich for hubby for work on Tuesday. Yeah, he likes mayo on one side & ketchup on the other. Not to mention he enjoys ketchup on many other things as well.

So Monday I tried another recipe. I found this one online somewhere …

This one was so simple. Directions stated to simply mix together & let chill overnight for flavors to meld together. Seriously? That simple? We’ll see.

6 oz tomato paste
1/4 cup water (used ¾ c total, great consistency)
2 tbsp vinegar
1/4 tsp dry mustard
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt         
1 pinch clove
1 pinch allspice
1 pinch cayenne pepper (didn’t use, I had none at home)
1/4 cup brown sugar

This time, I made no alterations other than the amount of water used. Using the quarter cup just made it way too thick for us. And I had no cayenne pepper at home (can you believe that?). I mixed everything together with a wire whisk, as the recipe said. Had a small taste & was impressed. So I stuck the whole bowl & whisk in the fridge. Hubby would be home in an hour & I’d let him taste. He too was impressed, letting me know he liked this one much better than the last one.

This time, I got 2 very full half pint jars out of it. I went & bought some lids for refrigerator use so I was not always using the lid & seal deal … save those for actual canning use!

So yes … seriously that simple.And I do believe I can now say we have a life without ... store bought ketchup!

2 comments:

This is my world. I reserve the right to not publish any comment that is offensive or cruel.