Pages

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Life without ... a microwave

I've not had a microwave now since mid October of last year. Amid the downsizing we did last year one of the many things that went was our microwave. I just figured once we were settled, we'd look at getting a new one.

Our kitchen here is rather small with limited counter space. I looked around for a small microwave for awhile. But the money we had was going quick & I could not decide on whether to spend the money or not, so I didn't. The more I thought about it & the more I talked with my hubby, the more we decided that we really could do without one.

I have heard & read about micro waves & what they can do. They are not exactly good for us to be exposed to. They cant be all that good for the food either. Besides, we lived without them before...

So here we are, living happily without one. People wonder how do we heat up leftovers? Well, either in a skillet or in the oven. Simple. And I have to say, everything tastes so much better than when it was just reheated in the microwave. And once you get used to it, it really doesn't take that long. What about popcorn? We bought a hot air popper. I love the taste. Melt a little butter to drizzle over it with some sea salt & you have a fabulous dessert or snack. Yes, real butter. And salt. It's all about moderation!

I used to eat Kashi frozen meals for lunches. Well, without a microwave, that would take forever to heat in the oven so ... I just don't eat that anymore. And I don't buy things anymore that are meant to be heated in the microwave. Simple as that.

Now, there have been a few occasions where we have said it would have been nice to have one. I heat water in a kettle on the stove for hot drinks. We don't have leftover coffee to reheat so that is a none issue. If there was any left, I would just turn the coffee maker back on & let it reheat that way. Or, I could put it in a pot on the stove & heat it. I know, coffee connoisseurs are gagging at those thoughts. But I'm not one of them. Mostly we just don't have coffee left over!

There ya go .. you can live life without a microwave. And you can enjoy it! Honestly. In certain aspects of daily life you have to make adjustments for this. But, it's not a big deal. It all comes down to a choice we make. Will we ever have one again? Maybe. But I honestly think all it would get used for is a clock, maybe a timer & to have a way to heat up heat packs.

Can you live without one?

2 comments:

  1. I'm so happy there is a fellow non-microwave owner!! I haven't had one for years and everyone is just shocked and trying to pass old ones off to me. NO NO NO. Simply do not like the way microwaved foods tastes, as well as the potential dangers. At work, I do occasionally use it to heat up my lunch but if I were at home, I would use the stovetop or oven with ease. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, we get exposed to so much (crap) in our lives .. so many of which we have a very hard time controlling, if we even can... why would we continue to expose ourselves in our own homes when here, we can control things a bit better? I just dont get it sometimes. I know many people say they are too busy & a microwave is a god send. My answer... dont be so busy! LOL

    ReplyDelete

This is my world. I reserve the right to not publish any comment that is offensive or cruel.