Pages

Tuesday, March 24, 2009

talking about consumers today


Sometimes I get really miffed at how the people who write commercials try to portray us. With so many commercials for say household products or cleaning products in particular, we as a people are made to look like we never clean, are lazy & want everything to be disposable. Wow is this really what we have become? Not me. And not a lot of people I know.

I am so tired of seeing one commercial after another trying to sell us, as consumers, some new fangled disposable or otherwise wasteful product.

Not long ago I saw a commercial for a popular brand of paper plates. They touted how strong they were, even better than before. They now will hold up to even the messiest of dishes you serve. How they would save you so much time after dinner (or other meals) by being able to just throw them away. No dishes to do! You can spend more time with your family. The average family how many of them truly spend time together after dinner these days? Or after any meal? Why not clean up together? Teach your children how to clean up after themselves. Teach them that its not such a weird thing to know how to do dishes, or wipe a counter, or put away leftover food. Teach them not to be wasteful.

Is it really that hard to do a few dishes after a meal? Or if you have one, to load a dishwasher? Im not one who loves to clean or wash dishes. But I am also not one to just be a part of the use & toss society we have created. It really doesnt take long to either load a dishwasher or wash up those few dishes from any given meal.

So then there is the trash. One company shows how strong their kitchen garbage bags are by stuffing them full, pushing the limits of the plastic the bags are made of. Then, a young child has the duty of taking this full bag to the trash can. Its great to know the bag can handle being dragged, rolled & otherwise mildly abused on its journey to the trash can. We are shown the trash can in the garage it has another bag in it! So were throwing a bag full of kitchen garbage into another bag lining the trash can? Huh? So, come trash day were tossing out a big bag full of smaller bags. Lovely. Not to mention how they are all better & stronger bags too.

All of it just frustrates me sometimes. Dont create so much garbage to begin with & you wont have a need for such a strong bag! Hmmm maybe try using real plates instead of paper ones?

I also laugh at the commercials for paper towels. Well, actually I laughed at the commercial for the Sham-Wow chamois even more. The guy says something stupid like you already spend $20 a month on paper towels …” Who in their right mind throws away that many paper towels in one month?? I know hes trying to make a point on how much money you can save, but geez. All people hear tho, is save money. At any rate, hubby & I ended up buying a set of them recently. And they work great so far. I dont really use them in place of paper towels, but I also dont really use many paper towels to begin with. We use rags & towels for most everything most people use paper towels for. I will wipe grease away with a paper towel tho, if Im like wiping out a pot or pan. Why did we have to become such a disposable society?

I could get into product packaging too. And single serving everything. Oh the waste!

2 comments:

  1. It is completely insane the things we as a society throw away....we are a disposable world...well some of us aren't (like you & I). It makes me sick to think about it sometimes...I would very much like to see this trend change.

    Great post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. And what else gets me about all the things we throw away is they don't make things to last anymore. The cost of getting something repaired too, is crazy. A lot of the time it is cheaper to just go buy a new one, which in turn creates more waste. Sigh. And these days, even spending more on something is no guarantee it will last longer than it's less expensive counterpart. Crazy world ... Crazy crazy messed up world.

    ReplyDelete

This is my world. I reserve the right to not publish any comment that is offensive or cruel.